What is the benefits of receiving a registered trademark?
You do not need to register your trademark. However, by filing your trademark you will receive great advantages in today's business market. You will also receive a higher level of legal protection. Some of these advantages are listed below:
- Constructive notice nationwide of the trademark owner's claim.
- Evidence of ownership of the trademark.
- Jurisdiction of federal courts may be invoked.
- Registration can be used as a basis for obtaining registration in foreign countries.
- Registration may be filed with U.S. Customs Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.
You can use the symbol ® once you receive your registration. During the meantime, you can use ™ (trademark) or SM (service mark) to notify the public of your recent claim.